Saturday, March 17, 2007

Snow Geese


Everyone knows about the sandhill cranes that pass through Nebraska, but I had never heard of the snow goose migration. They pass by on their way from Texas to the Canadian tundra. I saw a flock passing over that went from horizon to horizon. They were so high I could barely make out the individual geese directly above me. The formation was made up of hundreds of V's that all blended together into a continuous stream that must have been over a hundred miles long.


We have several small lakes around Lincoln that the Geese use as pit stops. When they come in to land, they form a giant corkscrew that begins at cruising altitude and spirals all the way down to the lake. It's difficult to see in this photo - I think you may be able to click on it for a full-size version.

The boys enjoyed the lake. We had a bunch of snow melt, so the water was up and flowing over the siltation dam. There's nothing like splashing in the water. I think we will keep their snow boots out all year for such activities. We hit 80 last week - the ice should be off the lakes soon; I'm ready to go fishing.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: