Saturday, March 17, 2007

Fly Vise

A couple weeks ago we went to Omaha to visit JP's favorite place - Pottery Barn. We got a new set of dishes. Our old set didn't bother me, but they were driving JP crazy. Something about being old, tired, and childish looking. I don't know if she was talking about me or her old dishes. Once we got the new ones, I then realized that as usual, she was right. We now have grown-up dishes. I miss my old plate with the compartments that keep my food from getting mixed together. I know - it all gets mixed together in your belly after you eat it, but who wants corn in their mashed potatoes?

We stopped at the Omaha Scheel's on the way out of town. It's a lot bigger than the Lincoln store. JP had taken GP there once before, but I had never been. Inside they have a 1945 ferris wheel that we rode. I sat with CP - he was a bit nervous as we left the ground, but by the end of the ride, he was the world's bravest kid.

I bought a fly-tying vise and some materials to make flies: antelope hair, chartruese fuzz, and some thread. I have been wanting to learn how to tie flies for a while and I couldn't pass up a nice vise w/tools for $35. The picture above is my first attempt. I hope it's more impressive to a bluegill than it is to me. I really respect the little chinese women that tie the store-bought flies and I realize that $1.50 per fly is a bargain.

It only hit me the day after that I had been duped by JP: her reason for going to Scheel's was not to ride the ferris wheel, nor buy a fly-vise. Her sole reason was to see if the snow boots she had been watching all season were on clearance. They were and now she has the stylish euro-dream boots she talked about all winter. We may get some snow tonight, so hopefully she will be fired up to shovel the driveway one last time.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: