Sunday, October 21, 2018

Lake St. Clair


Flying home, I went through Detroit Rock City. I was amazed at how blue-green the water was in Lake St. Clair. The channel coming out of Lake Huron looked almost tropical. I wish everyone could know/remember how bad the lakes and oceans were in the 70s when I was a kid. Growing up in a small town south of Flint, MI, I remember movies of the great lakes where the water was a puke-purple-red. When we moved to FL in the early 80s, Sarasota Bay was olive green and devoid of fish. Now (before the 2018 red tide, anyway) it's clear and full of fish (but due to Gov. Scott's policies, the red tide totally wiped out marine life on the west coast this summer).


Above is the west coast of FL before and during the 2018 red tide. The environment isn't just what it is due to forces of nature - it's what we humans make it. Get out and vote. 


No comments: