Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Repel On!


Last Saturday, we had a beautiful snow that just cried out for the new snow blower. The problem was that I had to make it to the scouting center at 8:00 to take a full-day climbing instructor class. JP & the boys cleared the driveway.

I am now an official site-specific-climbing-instructor-in-training. That means I can help out at the scout climbing wall, but nowhere else. After three events, I will lose the -in-training suffix to my title.

The scout climbing program here is mostly based around "repelling," which is what most boy scouts do in the wild. They repel real climbers as they pitch rocks & gravel from the tops of cliffs as they hoot, holler, and tie their ropes to everything that is un-solid. Everyone involved in the program here gets off on rappelling and none understand the spirit of climbing. It's all about being macho, wearing gloves, and belaying like a twit. I was hoping to get back into climbing, but I am disappointed with our scout group.

Check out the official scout climbing program patch: it only shows a guy on rappel, not climbing.


My next scouting adventure is the first of two three-day weekend campouts at the "Wood Badge" program. It's a leadership program that I was volunteered for by our pack. So far, the highlight is the fact that I must wear official scout regalia: shirt, pants, belt, socks, and hat. I love the pants - they are all polyester and have an elastic waistband.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: