Sunday, May 04, 2008

More Deck Construction

Friday night I installed the posts onto the poured concrete footings. Later that night we had a storm race through that dumped 6" of snow in western Nebraska.



Saturday morning we went to the Mayor's Race downtown. Normally I like to get an early start on the day, but it was so cold & windy, I didn't mind starting at 11:00. By Saturday night, we had 4 of the 5 outer frame pieces up, squared, and bolted down. JP kept her hooded winter coat on all day.


On Sunday, we were treated to warmer temps and less wind. We Hit Menard's and purchased the remainder of the structural lumber. Total so far: $1700. We installed all of the normal joists, the 45° facia, and one of the mitered joists. We have three more joists, one more double-beam, a few seismic ties, and then we can call the inspector.

I had my shirt off most of the day and I feel like I've been out in the desert for a week. My back aches & burns, my hands are throbbing, and I am looking forward to spending the day in my office tomorrow. I enjoy construction projects, but every time we do one, I am reminded why I chose my profession.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: