Saturday, February 03, 2018

Busy Travel Month


December was the busiest travel month of my life. In 32 days, I took 14 flights through 10 different airports, visited 14 cities, 8 factories, rode on 5 bullet trains with wheels, one without wheels, and rode around on the Shanghai subway. Needless to say, I was glad when the last trip was complete and I could sleep in my own bed every night. 

The first trip was to China. Lincoln --> Minneapolis --> Los Angles --> Shanghai. When I booked the flight, there was no option for going thru Seattle. The flight from LA is three hours longer due to LA being further south and the fact that we are nearly at war with North Korea, so we had to fly further west in China and basically go right over Beijing. Total flight time: 10 minutes shy of 15 hours. Ugh.

At least all of the flights were scenic. On the way to LA, we flew over the Four Corners region and I got to see Shiprock. On the flight to Shanghai, I saw Yosemite, the coastal volcanoes, and even Denali's summit poking out of the noontime winter twilight.


I love the real-time map and flight information on the bigger planes. With a little bit of geographic knowledge, you know where to look to see some cool landmarks. The photo above is Denali.




No comments: