Sunday, September 14, 2014

World DEMs

I found a site that has digital elevation models for the entire planet from a Space Shuttle radar mapping mission. I modified my Excel programs to work with the file format and now I'm able to make colored maps of anywhere. I know, I know, Google Earth can do that, but not really, and I've been tweaking on my Excel app since before Google Earth and Terra Server were accessible. There's some satisfaction in seeing my own output.

Here are some random snapshots of our planet. They're all 1920 pixels wide to be used as wallpaper. To really appreciate them, you'll have to view them at full size. There are a lot of fine details that don't show up in the thumbnails below. 

If/when I ever finish school, I'd like to try some super hi-resolution prints on our large-format printer at work. If you have any place on earth that you'd like to see, let me know.  

SW Lybian sand dunes


The Emi Koussi volcano and the Arounga meteorite crater in Chad

SW Iran. Persian Sea is the black at the SW corner.

Samarkand, Southern Uzbekistan

Iceland. The big smooth pink-ringed patch on the right is the glacier/icecap over the Bardarbunga volcano that's erupting right now.

Rio Somiloes in NE Brazil

Southern Michigan

Coteau des Prairies, South Dakota / Minnesota

NW Territories, Canada, Eh. 
The MacKenzie River is at SW corner, Great Slave Lake is on the east edge.

No comments: