Saturday, April 21, 2007

New Mower


This week I brought home an old prototype mower to tinker with. We were going to scrap it, and I figured that it might be nice to get some use out of it instead. It was barely running when I took it home, and after a couple hours of working on it it still barely ran. My diagnosis is that the camshaft gear jumped a tooth - I need to tear it down to be sure, but that is for another day. Fortunately, we had another engine with only 400 hours on it at work. It only took an hour to swap engines, and another hour to figure out how to route the belts on the front of the engine. It has a serpentine hydro drive belt and twin double-sided v-belts for the PTO and blower. Once the belts were routed the engine fired up first time and we were cutting grass.



The boys are wanting like crazy to drive the thing, but I have visions of them driving straight into a basement window well. JP did very well and mowed the entire back yard with an ear-to-ear grin.


Today we went to Campell's Nursery which was closed for a year due to road construction. I think they are making up for the lost revenues with their prices. We bought and installed two yellow shrub roses on the back of the house. Here in Lincoln, roses grow like weeds and we are excited about having some nice flowers around the house.


This morning I finished off staining the Rainbow. It was a year overdue due to our move. It's amazing what a gallon of waterseal can do for weathered wood. Out neighbor got in the spirit and gave his swingset a coat as well.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: